Finishing materials & rug backing
The back of your tufted rug
A good rug underlay or rug finish offers many advantages besides glue.
- Leveling the substrate
- Extra cold and heat insulation
- Improve sound, noise reduction, damping
- It extends the life of the top of the tufted rug, your artwork
- And gives you an extra feeling of comfort
Underlay types / tufted rug finish
- Foam - Only suitable for low loads. Place on felt paper.
- Filled Paper - Can be used under foam or foam backed rugs to eliminate sticking to your floor.
- Rubber - With jute or paper backing, this is one of the best underlayments for carpet and stair runners.
- Other Underlay Rugs - These include abrasion resistant jute, waterproof PVC, latex and felt replacement materials.
- Felt - Formerly common, now often replaced by rubber or jute backing.